Monday, September 29, 2008

10 Signs You're too OLD for the SINGLES WARD.

I attend a singles LDS Ward. For those who do not belong to the LDS Faith, many of these wards are to "help" single LDS people go to church with people who have a similar outlook on life and have shared experiences. It can be a good thing, however it is mainly for people in their 20's and there is a time when people may "hint" that maybe you should go to the "regular" family wards. These are all hypothetical, however they may hit close to home for some. The characters and situations are all fictional. ( just needed to add my Law & Order clause in case some of you seek royalties or compensation for public humiliation.) ;)

1. The Bishop starts asking members to pray specifically for you to find "a special spirit" during the monthly fast.

2. Other ward members start referring to you as "wise" and "more mature" when trying to set you up with THEIR single parent.

3. When you go to a church dance you request the DJ to play your favorite song, he smiles at you and says, "I love the oldies too."

4. The newly appointed counselor in the bishopric says in his first address to the ward, that he is happy to see some familiar faces. Especially yours because you used to teach him in PRIMARY!

5. You mention to your family home evening group that you went to the Cheers bar when you were in Boston, they all look at you with blank stares and judge you for going to a bar.

6. The year that you graduated from High School is the year that many of them were born.

7. The bishop gives you a calling as Ward Historian, because all of the ward members think that history started with you.

8. You attend a new singles ward with your sister/brother and the bishop tells them that its so nice to have their "MOTHER/FATHER" attend church with them.

9. You find yourself telling other ward members that you remembered going to the ward with their parents. Good times.

10. You make some movie suggestions to the ward activity committee and they turn you down because they don't watch TCM they watch TMZ.

Remember this is fictional, I am not that old...I think. ;)

14 comments:

Leo said...

I love your list...but you forgot #11.

"You can only go to tri-stake singles dances because that is how many people it takes to help you find your car (cause you can't remember for the life of you where you parked it...) while wearing those mature red-framed glasses that you used to wear in college."

LOL. Just kidding. I am so glad I found your blog.

Leo said...

that was Dane by the way. And so it begins....

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte said...

...Hmmmm... One time I saw an announcement for a multi-stake singles dance and at the bottom it said, "all divorces must be final"....LOL...

Dacia said...

love the post, it made me laugh!

SayitwithanH said...

Oh DANE! I'm glad you found my blog. Now you will just need to find time to play football at Midnight on a Friday. ;)

Leo, being married to Dane automatically qualifies you for some door prize in heaven. Dinner with the Saint of your choice or a night in Spirit Paradise, take your pick. LOL.

I've heard about those announcements. That is why I'm avoiding them. ;)Too much drama for me. LOL.

I'm glad you could smile.

Married Mannings said...

Hola you're hillarious!

Line said...

Lol, that is hilarious! I loved the oldies song comment! hahaha

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte said...

....OMGosh... This was even funnier the 2nd time!!!... You are one of the mostest funniest people I know!!!... And don't worry, you've got at least 10 more years before they physically remove you from the ward!!!...

SayitwithanH said...

Thanks Siane & Line! You are lucky that you didn't have to go for long. ;)

Trudy Trudy. You are my biggest fan. Maybe I should have a blog contest and have you all write a blog essay about why you are my biggest fan. Too narcissistic? ;)

Matsby said...

Ha! Awesome! Good job.

SayitwithanH said...

Thanks Bro. Higgins. I love your blog as well.

SayitwithanH said...

Oh my gosh Bro. GATSBY! I can't believe I called you Bishop Higgins. I meant GATSBY! You both have WONDERFUL blogs. I heart them both. Heavenly Father is not a respector of blogs and neither am I. ;)

Matsby said...

Thanks. I forgive you.

Anonymous said...

I visited one of those singles wards when I moved back to West Valley for a little while a couple of years ago. I walked in and recognized several people. There were several kids I used to babysit and a bunch of boys my little sister dated in high school! I went to the family ward and taught the five year olds instead. Another sign at those dances is when they play the "Electric Slide" and you're the only one who knows the dance. -Wendi