Sunday, September 7, 2008

I love technology...always and forever

One of my all time favorite movies has to be Napoleon Dynamite. It still makes me laugh every time I watch it. I know that you are not all fans, for that I am truly sorry, for you. In the movie, Kip sings a song to his "soul mate" LaFawnduh whom he met online. "I love technology...always and forever." The song makes me crack up.

The reason I thought of this song is that a while back I went to a salon in Provo and I was speaking to the lady that was working on me. I had gone to her a couple of times, she was getting married and was excited to move out of her singles Stake. She told me that her Stake President had asked the members of the ward to go on a "technology fast." This did not mean that they became Amish or anything, but that they spend time doing other things instead of going to the movies or watching TV or surfing the Internet. They could do this by speaking to their roommates, reading books, taking walks, etc. They could do things that their job required and could read the paper for news and things. I thought at the time. "I'm glad I'm not in your Stake." However, lately I've been thinking about doing a self-imposed "fast." I think sometimes, I am so bombarded with technology that I forget to connect with people that I care about personally. I text message them all the time. I write on their facebook, myspace or bebo walls. Its easier and I can do it on my own time table. I can devote as little or as much time as I want to this conversation.

I just was thinking that sometimes having easy accessibility to talk to a person makes us take conversation for granted. All day long, I am on email, messaging, text and online. Having discussions with my family seems obsolete at times, because I read their wall, blog and other family discussions. Maybe this will make me appreciate how disconnected we sometimes are when we think we're "linked." Just a thought. Until then, Peace out Napoleon.

6 comments:

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte said...

...WOW... That is so true... but who would make us laugh if you weren't posting anything?!!??... he he... Gosh I might actually make it to the gym if I go on a fast... but wait... if I am on the treadmill and watching TV to distract me does that still count? or do I have to be on the treadmill with no TV or IPOD? ummm... forget the treadmill in that case!!!...

Annie said...

Wow, I'm not sure if I could do that, but if I didn't look at the internet at night or watch a lot of TV I might actually get stuff done, important stuff like laundry and grocery shopping, and reading! I'm seriously considering it. Thanks for the idea.

Married Mannings said...

I might die of boredom if I didnt have the internet at work. Sometimes at night I dont have enough energy to focus on reading so I play mindless games online. Its great.

And the piece about keeping in touch with family... I confess I check my youngest brother's myspace everyday to check on how he's doing and if he and his girlfriend are still together, because he won't tell me :) He seriously updates it everyday. No joke.

Tupea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SayitwithanH said...

Hey Trudy! I don't know if I could is the only problem. When I returned back to school I banned myself from TV and Myspace (I didn't have facebook or Bebo accounts yet) until I was done with my homework. It worked...for a few days. My mind wanders and I start to drift off. Its a bit crazy.

Annie, Its a thought. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. But, it just makes me think about cutting back. What WOULD we do with all our free time. Throw ANOTHER fabulous mocktail party perhaps. ;)

Susiane, I feel you sister. When I worked in a small dinky motel in Provo. I almost DIED of boredom.

t and britty said...

is napolean dynomite a great movie? i haven't seen it but i think there are devout fan who lives have changed because of it. you know like, dialogue from the movie has become apart of their normal conversation. i think fasting is a great idea and i'd be willing to do it. remember those crows in the trees by your guyz apartment?