Sunday, July 27, 2008

Working Mothers and Stay at Home Mothers is there a choice?

Before you start thinking that this post is going to be some bash on working women or stay at home mothers, it isn't. Its just a single girls opinion of what the feminist movement and some LDS views of the role of women. I am not an expert on the feminist movement or on motherhood and its trials and tribulations. Which is why I think it is easy for me to make a statement. I have a view which favors neither, but has empathy for both. I thought about this because I recently have had this discussion with several friends. Some of which are stay-at-home mothers and others are working a traditional 9-5 job with children in daycare.

First, feminism. In the 19th and early 20th Century, the LDS church was quite revolutionary in its view of women and their roles in comparison with the rest of the U.S. LDS women were early suffragists and some of the first to vote and even hold political office. Many Early feminists such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony even worked with LDS women to further the movement across the country. LDS women attended and received professional degrees at a higher rate than the rest of the women in the country at this same time, some LDS women even becoming doctors. Women felt confident in their roles within the LDS community as wives and as feminists.

However, the term feminist has become synonymous with "bra-burnings" and "man-haters" due to conservative talk shows and other misinformed people. I believe that there are certain aspects of feminism which have allowed women to become whole. By "whole" I mean, discover for themselves what they can become due to choice and not societal expectations or limitations of what they can become.

An example of what the feminist movement has done for women can be found in my first story, my mother. My mother is a great role-model for my sisters and I. She received her advanced degree in a country not her own and a language which she struggled to read and write in. Her lowest college grade was a B+. I'm not going to say what my lowest grade was, but it was lower than a B+. That's all you need to know. Her younger sisters followed in her footsteps earning master's degrees in traditional and non-traditional areas for women such as; Teaching, Nursing, Accounting and Computer Science. This was in the 1970's and 1980's.

My mother and my father together determined that she should work and support our family. He worked as well, but in Real Estate and had a more flexible schedule. So my father did the carpooling and had dinner ready at home. There are times when she struggled with that decision, but through prayer and example they raised great kids, especially their middle daughter. ;) My mother and her sisters have all encouraged their daughters to gain and education and join the job force as they did. She sometimes envied women who could stay home full time with their children and felt guilty for working.

Many of my friends also have similar histories with their mothers. I remember as a freshman and Sophomore at BYU, some of my friends and I discussed our future after graduation. Most of us agreed that while we all wanted to become mothers, we also wanted to work. This had just become an expectation of ourselves because we believed that since our mothers had balanced work and home, so could we.

Fast forward about 10 years and my friends are now divided. Some are stay-at-home mothers and love their role, but feel guilty for not being able to juggle it all. Others have learned to balance home office jobs or traditional office 9-5 jobs with family life or at least they are trying. The feminist movement did not solve this dilemma nor did it create this problem. It allowed women the choice to choose what they want. Reasoning that it created this problem is like saying that because a teacher taught a concept and then gave the students a quiz on the subject, the teacher set-up the students for failure. The teacher should have just not taught anything new, simply allowed them to regurgitate old information, so that they could just continue in their bliss.

I love the movie Mona Lisa Smiles because I feel that the writer perfectly summed up the dilemma of women with families. In the end the brilliant character played by Julia Stiles is accepted into Yale Law School. She declines the invitation, because she wants to support her husband. Julia Roberts character laments about her wasting her talents as a housewife and Stiles character responds by saying,

"You stand in class and tell us to look beyond the image, but you don't. To you a housewife is someone who sold her soul for a center hall colonial. She has no depth, no intellect, no interests. You're the one who said I could do anything I wanted. This is what I want. "

The essence of what my mother who had a career and women who decided to work inside the home achieved, is that it allowed THEM to make decision as to what worked best for their family. Society should not dictate what role you must occupy within it. You and your husband determine that. Or if you don't have a spouse, you have the option to not be forced to occupy a "traditional" career that is "acceptable." You can become whatever you want. Fulfilling the measure of your creation, isn't that what the gospel is about, to have a fullness of joy. So, while I don't embrace all of the aspects of the National Organization for Women (NOW). I celebrate the barriers it has removed for women and allowed them the opportunity to make a choice for their families and themselves. What am I going to be when I grow up? Whatever I want.

14 comments:

Dacia said...

I'll tell you what really bugs me--the people that judge moms who work! Some people make judgemental comments about moms who work, but they don't always know why those moms have to work.

I too love that we all have the choice!

SayitwithanH said...

This is why I wrote the blog. I have so many friends who have chosen different ways of living their lives. Just because someone decides something different, doesn't mean that it would work for you. Just because it wouldn't work for your family, doesn't make it wrong.

Leave the judgements to those who should judge. There are only two commandments. Love God and love your neighbor, not love God and judge your neighbor.

Married Mannings said...

HOLA!!

I loved this post. This is something that I think about all the time.

Do you remember Sister Beck's talk on the role of a woman from conference last year? I loved it and found it inspiring. I didn't realize until later that it caused so much controversy within the LDS community. I'm interested in knowing what you thought...

ANYWAY I saw you at the Gateway theatre this past Friday. I was in line and you were with friends. I would have said Hi! but I didnt want to lose my place in line or yell at the top of my lungs for the whole theatre to hear :-) Sorry I love you, but not that much. What did you watch?

And on a side note... I was with Angeles on Pioneer Day and she was also saying how she found your blog hillarious and opinonated. Just like you :-)

Anonymous said...

Choices, Choices...we don't have a choice! hahahahaha If I had a choice then let me see what I would choose??? To stay at home and care for the spirits that I have been entrusted...sometimes life and circumstances do not provide one the luxury of "choice"....what say you "sayitwithanh"? Now, what of those who do have the luxury of choice, and choose to asprire for wordly success and material things...and so indeed leave their children in daycare???hmmmm so sad. Maybe some of us aren't responsible enough to have a choice?

SayitwithanH said...

Thanks Siane for the props. I remember that there was a big controversy over what Sis. Beck stated in the general conference. I think it was due to her use of the word "homemaking" which I didn't understand why that was such a big deal. She also stated that women & men must work side by side in their duties in accomplishing a house of order. She never said that women should quit their jobs and become "homemakers." But, I think thats what a few women believed. I thought it was a sincere talk and that is what I take from most talks rather than looking for controversy. I ask myself, what is it that they are saying and why do they think its important. That always is better than assuming that they are trying to modify your behavior.

"Anonymous" as you like to be called, because you do have a gmail account and could have logged in under your own name.

I'll respond with an example of parental choices. A close male relative of mine grew up in a household where discipline meant spanking and sometimes even with the belt. (I know my caucasian friends are gasping. It is not an uncommon form of discipline among polynesians). When his wife was pregnant he SWORE up and down that he would NEVER spank his child. There are "better ways" he would always tell me. I told him, that disciplining a child must be decided between the parents and it must be consistent and delivered with firmness not anger, whatever it is. Love should always be present when discipling to establish self-esteem in the child instead of self-doubt. Spanking has never been considered abuse in America. Although many people differ, I am not going to say how I feel about it, that is not important. Well, the child grew up and was very naughty like all 2 year olds are. One day I went over to their home and saw the wife and newborn baby in the living room. She looked resigned over something. I then heard a sound of a quick smack on the bum. Then I heard the child cry and looked and saw the father and child come out of the bed room. I asked him what happened, he told me he had spanked his son as a form of discipline regarding some disobedience. I said nothing, because I knew it was a family decision. I just smiled and looked at the child who was now laying in his fathers lap with the remnants of a hard learned lesson running down his cheeks from his eyes.

Choosing to go two work and choosing to stay at home are always choices. You may feel that you need to stay at home. That is a choice, you don't HAVE to stay. You want to. Likewise, many women who go to work, don't go because they live a lavish lifestyle. I know a woman who lives in a modest home. She has a modest home and her husband works two jobs to support the family and she works full-time as well. They switch between themselves who is taking care of the children. Sometimes her family or his help out. This is not against the gospel. Infact in the proclamation to the World it states that "circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed."
It is what you feel is in the best interest of your family. Likewise mothers who work also feel that it in the best interest of their family.

If this life is a test, why get stressed over the quizzes. Just pass the final.

Jansen Tribe said...

I totally agree! Good to hear from you girl!! I worked for two years after receiving my masters and now i am able to stay at home. I can honestly say i have enjoyed both. To each their own!

SayitwithanH said...

Thanks Chauma! I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well.

Line said...

I loved this post, Hola. I struggle all the time with wanting to stay home full-time, but also wanting a taste of the career I love so much--social work. I feel blessed because I get to work as a social worker part-time and be a mom ALMOST full-time. I'm getting to a point now where I want to just be at home full-time because sometimes my sister has to help babysit since Saia works during the day, too. We had been hoping he'd get a 3-11pm shift so that we'd never have to rely on anyone else to babysit, but it didn't work out that way. *Sigh* It's harder to be at work now when I have to leave my son with someone other than my husband, so I'm working my way (slowly, I might add) towards being at home full time. That's my choice. :)

P.S. I loved Sister Beck's talk, too. I was surprised when I heard about the controversy because her talk actually made me feel better for being both a full-time student and a mom (which was my situation at the time). As a student, I struggled ALL THE TIME with feelings of guilt about not being at home with my son full-time. Her talk was comforting to me.

Leo said...

wow, thanks for telling us you had a blog! geez.:)

great topic. my mother has worked for as long as i can remember and she continues to work(even though she has a auto-immune disease and stress makes her symptoms worse). i'm amazed, now, being a mother myself and how she always made us dinner. it seemed like such a small thing at the time but she was always home to make dinner, she would take off work when we were sick, tried attending all school/sport activities we participated in. it has really made me appreciate it her more.

i stay home with my kids. love it and feel lucky that i can. i agree it is a decision that each family needs to make together. i do give moms credit that can do both.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I could stir up some thought provoking conversation! When I was typing I was actually chuckling to myself because I knew I would get a good response.

However, I will say this, from your examples I think we all have our own interpretation of a modest life. What is modest to one, is thought of as quite lavish to another. We are all working hard in whatever we do, to get to the end goal of whatevevr that may be, lets hope at the end we can turn around and look back and be proud of what we have accomplished, both working moms and stay at home moms.

SayitwithanH said...

Line and Leo. Thanks for enjoying the post. I can only imagine how hard it would be to leave little ones, even with family. Sometimes, doing the best for your family is not necessarily the easiest. I know I marvel at my mother and all her talents in raising us kids. The responsibility of being a parent is enormous. That's why I haven't gotten married. That and that I can't find a decent guy I can drug and keep chained up for 50+ years. They all keep getting out of that 3 foot thick reinforced concrete dungeon I built...hmmm. Must find better chains. Its a good thing the police think their just crazy drug addicts. ;)

Anonymous, I'm glad that you were able to get to my website, I hear that you were having problems downloading it according to your email. I knew you would create controversy, that's why I invited you in the first place. Even my little sister who is lovely, (happy birthday!) knew who you were as soon as she read your first comment. You are right, being poor and being wealthy are a state of mind. Happiness is appreciating what you have instead of what you want. At the same time, priorities are different for everyone. You discipline your children differently. Some children you can just send to their rooms. Others, respond better to positive praise instead of negative critism. Everyone is different and every family requires a different Mum. That's why I am grateful that women can choose what is best for their family. Rather than society saying that there is only one way to raise a family. There is only so much prozac in this world. ;)

Sione and Berlina Sika said...

Hahahahahahaahaha! I love that! I am so glad that you invited me for my big mouth! woohoo! I know happy 30th to the little sister!

until we discuss again....anonymous!

SayitwithanH said...

You are too much. ;)

t and britty said...

great post hola. i am going to really enjoy reading your blog. congratulations on graduation. dane said he went but couldn't find you, hahaha. i think i need to find the picture of the kids covered by all the balloons in your car so you can change it to your avatar. glad we are in touch.