Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Travel Should Take You Places...

I'm BAAAAACK! I just got back from a very fun mini vacation in New York City with one of my dearest friends who is more like a sister to me than just a friend. We saw Mary Poppins, ate great food hung out with my cousin who lives in Boston and a friend I haven't seen in years. It was all great. However, as you know, my blog is not a travel log of my exploits. I mean, it would only be so interesting if it was just a travel log. So, as usual, here are some things I've learned since coming back.


1. You need to ask the street vendors if their food is fresh BEFORE you purchase it.

We found this out when on our first day we bought our beloved roasted coconut. Yeah, not so good if its not fresh. So we asked the next time and were much happier.

2. Cab Drivers do not know addresses....

When we were trying to find the Mesa Grill, which was Bobby Flay's restaurant, we gave the cab driver the address and he dropped us off at 102st Street we needed to be between 15th and 16th Street. Yeah, we never depended on them to get us to our destination before we mapquested and looked at a map. It saved us a couple of times.

3. Everyone loves F.A.O. Schwartz....

Everyone is a kid at heart. People from all over the world assemble in New York City, which is one of the reasons I love it. However, when they are at F.A.O. Schwartz we are all childlike it doesn't matter what our religion is or where we are from, we all can't wait to see the child's face when we give them our present and are excited to play with their toys. Its all about the kids right? P.S. I loved the BIG PIANO from BIG. Soooo, fun! ;)

4. Cell phones can be the bane of our love life and the cell phone dealers our mortal enemies...

A cousin stayed with us a few days, her cell phone had a problem, it wouldn't charge. She was waiting for a VERY important call. It came, however her phone was DEAD. We went to a dealer to get it fixed. Some 18 year old kid who told us to go to another dealer and refused to help. DORK! I think they shouldn't let kids under 21 in ANY customer service capacity.

5. Traveling with only one check in bag, is TOUGH!

Even though my friend and I were only gone for five days, we are ladies and must prepare for any event. Limiting our luggage to under 50 lbs and only with ONE checked bag is torture for us. We had to think twice before all of our purchases and used the bathroom scale to weigh before we left for the airport. We packed and strategized in a manner that would make those who prepare to hike K2 (I say K2 because we only strategized seriously the morning we left, so not Mount Everest) proud. Her bag came in at 49 lbs. Yay! Mine, they didn't weigh because it looks so small. However, although I believe mine was heavier. hehehe! Take that Major Airline Carrier!

6. Coming home is LOVELY!

I love to travel and visit friends and places, but coming home to family and friends is always the best. Except when you're room is a mess from packing the morning of because you were preparing for a work talent show. Yeah, that will have to wait for another blog.

7 comments:

Amanda C said...

I love New York! I am glad you had fun.

SayitwithanH said...

Thanks Amanda! I totally had fun. I have gone there waaay too often the past year. My parents want me to go somewhere new so they can tag along. I just let them tag along to DC, isn't that enough? ;)

Married Mannings said...

You went to Boston and you saw my sister. Lucky!

SayitwithanH said...

I wasn't in Boston, your sister came and stayed with me in NYC. Although her house is beautiful. You should go and visit.

Anonymous said...

I'll write more later to reply to your funny post, but for now...this is my new favorite taking place of Seriously, So Blessed....

http://myregisblog.blogspot.com/

Tru

SayitwithanH said...

I can't wait Trudy! Tell me when you sign up!

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.