Sunday, August 17, 2008

Facts about food you may not know...

1. Chinese cabbage is not the same as regular cabbage...

Yes. I learned this today, which is what inspired my blog. I should not have listened to my mother, who also substituted green beans for regular beans when making chili once. Yes, you read it correctly, this is why we only let my father cook. He is a fantastic cook. Which is why I am looking for a man who can cook as well.

2. Hawaiian Haystacks...are not Hawaiian..

I know this may be a shock to some of you, its true. The first time I had Hawaiian Haystacks was when my uncle's wife prepared them, she is Caucasian. I had them again, when I went on my LDS Mission to Sacramento. One of the church members invited us over, she wanted to make me some food from home. So, she made us Hawaiian Haystacks. She was very sweet and said, "does this remind you of home?" I said, "kind of ,I grew up in Utah and some of my family lives in Hawaii, so I love chicken and pineapple." I didn't know what to say. So, she made me admit it by asking this question. "Doesn't your Mom, make you this all the time?" So, I had to tell her the truth, "My Mom doesn't cook. My Dad does and this is only the second time, I've had this. Its not really 'Hawaiian' it just has pineapple and chow mien noodles. But, I love it." Awkward.

3. Churros are not Mexican...

I went to Cabo San Lucas and thought that they would have these, yeah no. Only at Costco and Sam's Club or at State fairs. Fo' Reals.

4. Not all Latin Food is Mexican...

I know, I had a companion from Puerto Rico. She barely spoke any English. She loved cheese whiz and hated Mexican food. We had another member who made tacos for us to help her feel at home. Same thing, not Puerto Rican.

5. Mongolian BBQ is not Mongolian...

I had a companion from Mongolia who barely spoke any English. She was great. She loved to cook Mongolian food, it was very good. Very meat and potatoes, not many vegetables. Another member decided to take us to Mongolian BBQ and she said "Sister, this not Mongolian, I cook Mongolian, this Chinese." It is still good, I don't care where you're from.

6. Spam is delicious...

Yes, you read it right. Fry me up some spam and rice and I am a happy girl. I love Spam Musubi. However, as it says on the label, it is a meat product. Which means it is not from a Spanimal. There are no Paniolo's (Hawaiian Cowboys) roping up spam. I don't care, its still my favorite breakfast, spam, eggs & rice. Yummy.

So, if you ever travel to Latin American, don't expect to eat Burritos or have fresh Pico de Gallo everywhere. If you go to Hawaii, get a spam breakfast, but not with peanut butter cups (50 First Dates).

13 comments:

Line said...

The first time I ever had Hawaiian haystacks is when I came to Utah for college. It amazes me that people really think it originated in Hawaii. :)

Amanda C said...

ewww spam! I have a friend who is hawaiian and LOVES spam. But me, I will never like it. BTW, Puerto Rican food is yummy! I had many Puerto Rican friends in Florida.

The One said...

You know, I hope this doesn't offend Mounu, but you are the funniest Mataele. What about "Hawaiian Pizza"? Is that really from Hawaii? The fact that it has "Canadian" bacon is suspect. Is it just anything with pineapple? If I put pineapple on my hot dog, does that make it Hawaiian? (that sounds really scary gross, I'm not really going to put pineapple on my hot dog. Now I'm a bit sick to my stomach.Good job Hola, look what you made me do.)

SayitwithanH said...

Line, I know, its true they think its from Hawaii, but they probably also think that French toast is from France. *sigh*

Spam is GOOD Amanda! You just need to try it prepared properly. I'll fry you some one day in soy sauce and brown sugar. It is sooo tasty. Then you eat it with rice and eggs, you are good to go! I'm telling you, you're life is only half full. ;D I've never had puerto rican food. She was a visa waiter and I love her, but the cheese whiz thing was very funny. I still laugh when I think about breakfast with cheese whiz on toast. Oh well, nothing is worse than Vegemite ;).

Mounu knows that I am the funniest Mataele. Its not a shocker. Although my brother in law, is pretty hilarious, but he's not a Mataele. My little brother and my cousins together crack me up. It takes a group effort. So, it doesn't cout. ;) Pineapple Pizza, while it says its Hawaiian, is not. I know, its crazy and shocking for you all. The Pineapple is actually not native to Hawaii. I know, you may want to sit down. ;)

t and britty said...

we love spam too! i think if more people had it like how we eat it they would like it too! thank you for enlightening us on those tidbits. love your posts.

Leo said...

you are funny hola! i think i saw mounu at the airport when i arrived in hawaii. i thought it was her and she was starting to board the plane. i wasn't sure. anyways, we enjoy your posts!

Married Mannings said...

The first time I had Hawaiian haystacks was at luau in Idaho. It was a weird combination and I had to eat 3 servings to get full.

I also am a big fan of spam and I love churros :-) Everytime I go to Costco I have to buy a churro too. Yum.

Anonymous said...

...LOL...ROTF...Hawaiian Haystacks!!!! Girl you are SOOO right!!! That is a Utah Mormon thing (that spread to Sac...he he). Who made that crap up??? They just had it at our girls camp as the "ethnic meal" for their Polynesian theme...ugh!!! Why do people put pinapple in stuff and think it's Hawaiian??? It annoys me!!! Anyhooo... Hope you're doing well!!! Thanks for always making me laugh!!! And I love the green bean story!!!...he he he....

~*Tru*~

SayitwithanH said...

Yep. I love me some Spam Britt.

It might have been Mounu. She lives in Hawaii, she's been in the communications graduate program. If she looked lost, then it most likely was her. LOL. Love you Mounu! ;)

When I went to Cabo, I though for sure their churros would be better, if only they HAD churros. The waiters looked at me a little crazy when I asked if they had any. If I spoke spanish I could have read his mind which I'm sure would have said something like "estupido americano." Maybe I should have asked for a Mexican haystack. ;)

I love the green bean story too. she is a great Mom, just not a very good cook. That's okay that's what Dad's are for, right. ;)

Annie said...

They LOVE spam in American Samoa too. I think I even ate it there and liked it. I think it's one of those foods that has been so maligned on the mainland it is unacceptable here, but if you eat it in another country (preferrably in the South Pacific) you'll love it.

SayitwithanH said...

I agree Annie, Spam has a terrible reputation. It takes a little preparation and you are good to go!

Angeles said...

SPAM is disgusting, unless it's part of a musubi. Just smelling it when Red fries it makes me throw-up in my mouth!!

p.s Why haven't I heard back from you since I called you for a job?

p.s #2 I moved to the avenues, so now you and kiss a lunch with me, your favorite cousin...goodbye! ..unless you're still up for it, then be sure to give me a ring. LOL!

Angeles said...

sorry, typo...it's suppose to say CAN kiss...