Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Confessions of a Social Network Addict

Hello, my name is Hola and I am a social network addict. It started out as just something fun and casual. I thought, hey all my friends are doing it. It began with a casual profile on myspace. Then my cousins all told me they were on bebo. Then all my classmates and siblings were on facebook. Next thing I knew, I was writing on other peoples walls. I couldn't even go a whole day without checking on my phone. While I was in line at the grocery store, I would check on other peoples walls. When sitting in doctors appointments I would be facebook stalking. Then people began poking me. At first, I thought it was strange and then I started to like it. *sobbing* I couldn't stop.

I told myself, I could handle it. I mean, I wasn't hurting anyone. All of the games were free. However, I started comparing myself to others. Are we "best friends," are we "soul mates." Who did I need to cut out because our pet peeves are "same difference" or worse..."miles apart." I began avoiding my friends because I know that they would wonder why I did not accept their flowers. *screams* I can only save so much rain forest a day.

SO, I lost my phone. (I don't want to hear it) It has forced me to re-evaluate my life. I have had to take a hard long look at how many of my 192 really close friends can I keep in touch. How many pieces of flair really mean something to me. One day at a time. One day at a time.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL I'm glad you're realizing what I am sure all of your family and friends already know. I can find out about you by watching facebook. And it baffles me why you're a social network person and yet you don't get on myfamily.com? Don't be too hard on yourself. I think many if not most people including me spend more time on the net than is needed or healthy or than they would like:) But we should use technology to reach out to more family and friends:) Just all things in moderation!

Married Mannings said...

The first step is always to admit theres actually a problem. Good job. You are definitely on your way...

Also I didnt know you have bebo too? How come we're not friends? :)

I also am all over the web, and its also a little ridiculous. But I need a myspace to check on my youngest brother and a bebo to check on my little sister. They are minors and need the supervision, so I freely provide them with comments on anything I see as inappropriate and also leave them threatening messages if they don't delete it. I think that justifies it :)

SayitwithanH said...

Thank you both for your words of support. I just fell off the wagon and poked some people. I just can't stop...I'm...not...strong enough. So, it has been 3 minutes and counting I am social network free. ;)

Leo said...

Did you really simply lose your phone...on purpose or like the many times you couldn't remember where you parked your car...you did it by mistake. Hmmmm. I'm not so sure my red-framed glasses friend. Hit me on my blackberry.

Anonymous said...

c'mon... 192 friends? Is that a typo. I'll take it as you mean you had -
1 - Myspace friend
9 - Facebook friends
2 - Bebo friends

for a total of (put your calculator away) 12.

SayitwithanH said...

Leo, change your blogger password... Soon! ;)

Anonymous...dumb! hehehe!

Line said...

Lol, yeah we're all getting eaten alive by social networking aren't we? I'm addicted to blogging, if that makes you feel better. I'd probably be addicted to other stuff too, but a blog is the only thing I'm allowed to have. LOL. The hubby is anti-facebook/myspace/bebo. It's ok, though, because not having those things helps limit my time on the internet.

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte said...

...Don't worry!!!...Didn't Elder Ballard (or one of the big 12) give a talk about BLOGS(and I freely include all internet use)...Anyhow, as long as you bare your testimony every now and again you are fine!!!... You are simply reaching out to others...it's like visiting teaching online!!!... At least this way you have more control about who approaches you... ie.. the creepy guy at the airport!!...he he...

Amanda C said...

I have backed off of my social networking too. But it still is a great way to keep in touch with people you don't often see.

Carrie Samantha Miranda Charlotte said...

...Ummm....Yes, HELLO???... I am waiting for another HILARIOUS POST!!! Nevermind that I never write anything!!!... I just take, take, take when it comes to blogs and give very little!!!...he he he.. I promise to stop yelling at you as you cross the road to work!!! But I'm sure you're used to all the construction workers calling out to you!!!... he he he... TTYS!!!...

Leo said...

i know. i told him he better leave his name but he said he would know it was him. he has his own account but he never uses it. loser.