Sunday, November 23, 2008

What doesn't kill us will only make us stronger...I don't buy it.

It is with a heavy heart that I report that the mighty BYU cougars...lost, that's the good news. The bad news, it was to to... the *cough* *gagging sound* Utes. What is up with THAT! I would like the Ute fans to remember that I did not rub anything in last year, or the year before.

Some people ask why I am such a cougar fan. The only response is that I was raised this way, the right way. In all seriousness, I am glad that we still have something to cheer or get excited about. College sports is a great diversion when the outlook for the economy and job losses can seem so down.

A friend of mine, who is a cougar, and I were talking and she doesn't see the point of college football. I was a bit speechless, but here is my response. Competitive sports are traditional in every culture. It is a way of binding a society together. It helps to identify a hero and a villain. Us versus them. People can get aggression out in a way which will help them to move beyond cultural differences and break barriers, sometimes without the violence associated. We can see this in Jesse Owens during the Olympics, Jackie Robinson and baseball, Tiger Woods and the PGA. Societies that aren't necessarily ready to accept change socially can accept it through athletics. Then eventually they will ask themselves, I cheer for them in sports, why can't I cheer for them outside of the sport.

Which is why I still like Max Hall. We still had a great season and I'm still a cougar.

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Since I didn't know you last year, or the year before.....

GO UTAH!!!! Choose The RED....

UTES, UTES, UTES, UTES, UTES, UTES

GO TEAM!

love you!

Line said...

You're a good person for not rubbing it in the past two years... Cause I sure did! Lol. And yes, I was a Cougar fan even before I came to BYU because I was raised that way, the RIGHT way. :) Coming to BYU only intensified my Cougar fan-ness. Go Cougs! (Even though the game last Sat was killing me, I'll still cheer for my Alma Mateur)

t and britty said...

well said!!!